Pages

▼

Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Tuesday 6th October

Sunday 4th October  - do nothing day. But we did catch the BBC1 Young Chorister of the Year finals for the junior age group. Each chorister sang a well-known hymn with such beauty and conviction... if you didn't see it, do look it up on iplayer. 

Here are the junior and senior winners from 2015;

Their voices were such a contrast to the young singers performing a song from Matilda; 


The human voice is such a versatile instrument. 

Monday 5th October 

The plasterer was working hard all day putting the top coat of render on the outside of the extension. We chose 'parchment', and I'm really pleased. He hasn't yet done the left hand corner...


While I was out there I took a picture of one of the last few leaves on my witch hazel. You can see the beautiful way it is turning from green to bronze;


Tuesday 6th October 

We were up at 6, ready for the builders at 7 and the delivery of the screed at 7.30. This proved to be a large pile of dirty grey cementy looking stuff, tipped out into a heap on a thoughtfully placed plastic sheet.

One lad barrowed it round to the extension and shovelled it through the door. The othe man had the back-breaking job, on his hands and knees, of packing it in and smoothing it down by working a plank over and over the surface. It looked like very hard physical work.

We left them to it, and went out for the day! I did at least make them a cup of tea before I left.


14 comments:

  1. Won't it be fabulous when it is all done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way your addition looks with the coat of parchment coloured render which I am assuming is what we call stucco.
    I'd be tempted to press those pretty leaves still hanging on your witch hazel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think the colour is just right 😊 .
      What a good idea about the leaf... I shall do that.

      Delete
  3. Wow! it's looking great now. Must be hard to wait until you can actually use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience..... oh Patience. I'm learning to be patient... very slowly

      Delete
    2. My favourite prayer from the book “Prayers for Pagans and Hypocrites” is “God, grant me patience. And I want it NOW”.

      Delete
  4. Your extension is looking really good.
    The Young Chorister Competition is always good to watch - I enjoyed it and hadn't thought about the comparison between them and the girls singing the song from Matilda which I also watched.
    (I wish the adult choir competition that was on TV several times a few years ago would come back)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about the choir of the year competitions. They were good to watch too.

      Delete
  5. The extension is looking so good, and I am still admiring your strength dealing with all the upheaval.
    I love hearing choristers, so unearthly sometimes. And then I get caught up in some of the rock songs, and yes, the human voice is amazing. Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The young choristers were so good. I always feel sad for the ones that dont win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.... that's the big downside of competitions.

      Delete