Tuesday 7 August 2012

Wednesday 8th August- Olympic losers

We were all given a songbook for the Olympics, created by Portsmouth Music Services. It is a cornucopia of songs covering all aspects of the Olympic games, and I taught a number of them to the children. There was one song which stood out, written by someone called Iain Gilmour, dealt with one of the most important aspects of the games; "Losers like me"

The chorus goes

"I'm not the fastest, I'm not the best.
Look past the podium, you'll find me with the rest
There will be champions, they would agree,
There'd be no winners without losers like me"

The verses give the viewpoint of an anonymous athlete, who knows that that are not in contention for any medal, but have reached the standard of taking part in the olympic games, and can hold their head up high for that achievement. If these "also-ran" athletes didn't take part, and run as best as they can, there would be no games, no winners, no medallists.

Some of the lines from the song:

"I know I beat the odds to get this far, I know that I will never be a star"

"They say that taking part is what is key, they mean that winnng isn't meant for me"

"And I will race them one and all, I will give it all I have to give, and know that I have truly lived"

Some teachers were appalled at discovering a song about "losing" in the collection. I couldn't disagree more. It is so important to "look past the podium" in all aspects of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment