Monday 5 November 2012

Monday 5th November - A new week

Today was sunny and bright and cheerful and dry - a sparkling day, full of promise. What a way to start the week!

On my way to teach samba and djembe (African drumming), I crossed the River Arun at on the A272 at New Bridge, near Billingshust. I didn't have time to stop and take pictures, but after the rain at the weekend, the water level was close to the level of the road, and the surrounding fields were great flat expanses of water. I think this picture below must have been taken when there was a dry spell. When there has been a prolonged spell of heavy rain, it is well worth checking the tide tables, as the bridge can be impassable at high tide in these conditions.

ARC0609_62_large.jpg
Bridge over the Arun, Nr Billingshurst: 2009
I found this picture on a website devoted to the River Arun; http://www.myriverarun.com/index.html
It is full of pictures and information about the River and its history.

Anyway, I had no problems today and went on my way, nearly into Hampshire.

In the after noon I retraced my steps, and carried on north to visit my mother in hospital. The weather stayed cheerful, and I only got lost once in the amazing labyrinth that is the A23 between Crawley and Salfords. Dusk was approaching, and the clouds were becoming a deeper and deeper pink against the clear blue sky. The message of hope that I read in the weather turned out to be true - today my mother was able to have something to eat for the first time since her stroke last Tuesday. What a relief! I found her sitting up and listening to music (a recording of his final recital at the 1950 Besançon recital) and looking through get well cards. My father and brother stood in attendance, handing the cards over one by one.

 
We finished the day with a family supper - the table is still clear. This could become a habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment