Thursday 17 December 2015

Thursday 17th December - Sit-Rep 17

Blog posts with this title concern my mother's current situation. Family and friends will know more of the background and context, and this is primarily for them.

Another day when I let the Advent Candle burn for too long; so once again I've had to light a different candle today!


It was a sort of "deconstructed" family day today; I went up to London with my husband, and my brother and his wife came over to visit my mother.

In the morning my father visited, while breakfast was in progress. A Speech and Language Therapist was also there, in order to asses how my mother's swallowing problem was going. This seems to have eased somewhat from how it was in hospital. However her ability to swallow still remains an issue, as does how little she consumes in a day. The therapist has suggested an alterative product to use for thickening the drinks, which my mother may find more acceptable.

My brother and his wife visited later in the morning, and again in the afternoon (while my father had a well-deserved afternoon snooze at home). They said that she appeared considerably improved compared to how she was nearly a month ago in hospital - more alert, more at ease. They had a good time together.

We all met up in the evening at my father's flat (except my mother, of course) before going our separate ways. It's been a long day for all of us. At least I'm back home - my brother and sister-in-law will still be on the road for a couple more hours yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment