Sunday 24 June 2018

Sunday 24th June - It's been a while since I wrote...

Looks like the last post was a long week ago...

I'm in that phase of the term where Summer concerts loom and schedules disarrange themselves. Which is what has been happening over the last ten days. I shall be S-O-O-O GLAD when I have reduced my school teaching next term. Most of the lost income from giving up those three afternoons a week has been reclaimed in piano teaching. Already. That's great, except I haven't actually given up the school teaching yet. Slight mis-match in timing? I should say so!

Which means I am currently teaching 59 assorted lessons a week, and instead of getting irritated when some of the piano pupils cancel, I'm relieved...

Assorted lessons?
46 x Piano, 2 x Recorder, 1 x Samba, 1 x Ocarina, 2 x Ukulele, 4 x Teaching songs for school shows, 1 x Teaching soloists for school shows, 1 x Theory, 1 x Drumming and 1 x Guitar. I think that's the lot.

On Monday last week I had the second of three annual osteoporosis treatments; an intravenous infusion of zolendronic acid. With a name like that it sounds as though it should cure everything. The actual treatment was a bit of a non-event, and I happily taught all the morning and evening piano lessons. Then, at seven-thirty pm, I just completely ran out of awake-ness, and had to go to bed. Just like that. Extraordinary. But I was fine again the next day, and the rest of the week. So far so good!

Today, the sour dough starter that I have been nurturing for nearly 2 weeks was ready for turning into a loaf of bread. Ta-da!


That worked ok! I've tasted a bit, and it seems to be a sour-dough loaf. I used the make-it-in-a-bread-machine process, as doing it by hand would have occupied most of the day, off and on. The remaining starter is in the fridge, where it is supposed to hibernate, not try and climb out of the jar. I shall have to find a larger container.



I'm still brewing up batches of kefir, so the fridge tends to be full of weird-looking substances, fermenting, or separating, or just in a jar.


The kimchi has gone though. I tried my version, and wasn't that enthusiastic. Then I had a brainwave - let's go to Wagamama and try theirs! We went last Saturday. Now, you can't just go in and buy a single side order of kimchi, so we had lollipop prawns, bang-bang chilli cauliflower, and a main meal each as well. I have to say I didn't like their kimchi either, so I've lobbed the lot into the compost bin. Let's hope the worms like the taste, otherwise I shall find a load of foul fermented sludge in there when I come to extract the compost! I was rather embarrassed when I came to pay the bill - I had intended to give a £4 tip, but unfortunately pressed the wrong button so they only got 4p. at the wrong time. That's a bit of an Oops.


What else to report? Ah Yes. Reports; I've been grumping over the amount of unpaid admin that seeps into my life, courtesy of "the office". Like music reports. Well, I've done them now, only three or four hours time. It's a rubbish system, getting the reports written, countersigned, separated out into individual pupils and emails to the parents and the school, especially for someone like me who is not gifted in the areas of accuracy. I've spent a good deal of the time double checking that the correct report is going to the correct person with the correct email address and the correct parent name... klaxon KLAXON DATA BREACH DATA BREACH but no, I think I've avoided that catastrophe... fingers crossed...

So, another week (or thereabouts) has passed, and I have just four more weeks and two days of this term left. And counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment