Wednesday 27 November 2019

Wednesday 27th November - Odd sort of Feast

I've always liked the description of the picnic that Ratty put up for Mole;

‘Hold hard a minute, then!’ said the Rat. He looped the painter through a ring in his landing-stage, climbed up into his hole above, and after a short interval reappeared staggering under a fat, wicker luncheon-basket.
‘Shove that under your feet,’ he observed to the Mole, as he passed it down into the boat. Then he untied the painter and took the sculls again.
‘What’s inside it?’ asked the Mole, wriggling with curiosity.
‘There’s cold chicken inside it,’ replied the Rat briefly;
‘coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickledgherkinssaladfrenchrollscresssandwiches
pottedmeatgingerbeerlemonadesodawater—-‘
‘O stop, stop,’ cried the Mole in ecstacies: ‘This is too much!’
‘Do you really think so?’ enquired the Rat seriously. ‘It’s only what I always take on these little excursions; and the other animals are always telling me that I’m a mean beast and cut it VERY fine!’
-The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame

I bought a sort of picnic for this evening, of the things I fancied eating and things my father might like, and Himself added some crackers and some boursin and some fine cheddar...

and we took it round to my father's flat for supper.

We had

slices of salmon terrine, chicken satay and peanut sauce, sliced cold topside of beef, quail's eggs and celery salt, red bell peppers stuffed with cream cheese, mini pork pies, radishes, cherry tomatoes, watermelon pieces, orange melon pieces, mango slices and of course, the cheeses and the crackers.

I also bought a little mini port selection box, so that my father and I could have a small glass of port each to finish;
W & J Graham's Port Selection
(Himself doesn't really care for port, and was driving).

Excellent end to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment