Saturday 26 November 2022

Saturday 26th November - Dusk is falling on an eventful day

This birthday has been special for so many reasons. Actually, each birthday is special in its own way.

Breakfast in bed is now a normal part of my routine, but breakfast in bed with presents is something else!

As the day went on there has been a steady stream of visitors, bringing presents, cards, flowers, a complete meal in a bag, as well as the deliveries by post and by van today and the preceding week.

I'm quite bowled over by everything, and am enjoying re-reading cards and looking at the pictures on them (especially the one of a lady wearing lycra, clutching a glass of wine and watching her washing machine go through the spin cycle - securely taped to the machine is her fitbit step counter... 'another few minutes and that should be my 10,000 steps done' - SO true!)   

and looking AT my book 'The Kitchen Cabinet' but trying not to start it before January, as it goes through the culinary year from January to December... I think I WILL start it in December though... and read it through the year to next November!

I have received a Jacquie Lawson Advent calendar - part of our traditional Advent now. I really don't mind giving it a plug here as it is so lovely. Possibly even better than a chocolate Advent Calendar. 


Each day there is something new and delightful to see when you click on a bauble, but while I am waiting I can click on the star and find all sorts of activities - a word puzzle, jigsaw puzzle, Christmas Bauble smashing game (yes please!), patience and create a snowflake. I know from past experience more will be added as the days go by.

I have just investigated the trial Christmas cake. Unfortunately, even if I cut out the middle I don't think it can be saved. I can hear Paul Hollywood's voice 'It's underbaked, nearly raw'. Oh well. I have tried just saving the edges, but even that's not great. But  - oh - the flavour! I shall bake it again tomorrow. At least, with it being so small it is not a hugely expensive undertaking.


Tomorrow is the First Sunday of Advent. Seems so early - still another couple of days before we can start opening all the windows...


3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I saw the TKC book in Waterstones, it looked great fun (I do like Jay Rayner, esp since he rated our favourite Japanese Restaurant in Norwich 5*) Sorry about the cake. But the rest of your day sounds great ❤️❤️🎂🎂🎆🎆🎆

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame about the cake. We went to my niece 's birthday yesterday and mym Mum had baked her the most enormous triple layer wildflower cake covered in thick blue buttercream icing. It was really dense and sickly and there's so much of it left!!
    Happy belated birthday! If your birthday was Saturday, then you and my niece have the same one! Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue buttercream! That will make it a cake to remember!

    ReplyDelete