Saturday 4 February 2023

Saturday 4th February

The sock is growing... slowly. I started from this point after a little break

My main problem was knowing when to add the heel.

I've now reached this point and I reckon a few more rows and I'll be there. 


I'm doing an 'afterthought' heel, where you knit the whole sock as a tube, and add the heel later, by - gasp - snipping into your sock, picking up the stitches and making the heel. Except mine will be a 'forethought' heel... I'll post a picture soon.

The simplest job - 'could you make some holes in this plastic milk bottle lid so I can gently sprinkle water onto my micro green seedlings' - doesn't always go as I envisaged;


Last time, I just made a few holes in the lid with a kitchen skewer. This time I asked for help as it was quite hard work getting through the plastic.  I didn't expect the entire tool kit to appear. Still, I have got a water sprinkler as recommended by the book. The kale micro greens, sown on Monday, are up, and I have started off some pak choi. I've never managed to persuade it to grown in the vegetable patch, so I am trying micrograms instead.

I've decided not to grow anything 'cabbagey' as all I have ever harvested in that line has been holes. I should net the plants, but that is not going to happen.

I'm thinking that this year I will go for tried and tested; spinach, broad beans, French beans, peas, spaghetti squash, carrots, tomatoes, radishes, spring onions, potatoes and lettuces. These have all worked for the last few years. I am intrigued though by the idea of trying to grow peanuts, having seen peanut seeds in a catalogue.






 





2 comments:

  1. Shortly I will be making single holes in many milk bottle lids (for children's craft activity) I usually use my leather punch. I was going to plant my microgreens today, but the family descended unexpectedly, and all plans abandoned. But we've had so much fun I don't care about the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was intending to use a 'Dremel', but there was a problem with it, so he ended up just poking holes in it after all!

      Delete