Saturday 19 August 2023

Saturday 19th August - Moonshine

 

I find the unpredictable nature of the moon very disconcerting. It has all been explained to me, and I understand it when I see the diagrams, but it still unnerves me to find the full moon staring in through the back door as we lock up at night one time, and then another time peering in through the front bedroom windows as we shut the curtains. 

One month it is tangled in the oak tree at the bottom of the garden, another time hiding in the trees between the bungalows opposite us. Other times it is palely loitering in the morning sky, almost hiding in plain sight.

I have decided to keep a closer eye on it. It still all looks very suspicious, or at the very  least mysterious, to me.

A shallow dive into the internet has informed me of two useful facts;

There are two full moons this month

A full moon rises directly opposite the setting sun; 'if you watch the sun setting, and then turn and face the opposite way you can see the moon rising'. That's always assuming that you can actually see the sun set and the moon rise - trees, houses and so forth are inclined to get in the way, not to mention weather. The link for this picture is below.

https://moonphases.co.uk/moon-calendar





4 comments:

  1. I have always been fascinated by the word "gibbous"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've just checked; hard g like get
      gibbous
      /ˈɡɪbəs/
      adjective
      (of the moon) having the illuminated part greater than a semicircle and less than a circle.
      convex or protuberant.
      "his gibbous eyes"

      Delete
  2. I saw that example... Isn't there a danger someone might mishear and think you referred to "his gibbon's eyes"?

    ReplyDelete