Thursday 31 August 2023

Thursday 31st August - every day, in every way...

I'm feeling better and better...

At the time I would have blogged yesterday I had just about nothing to say, except that Ang's August Cross-Stitch-Collaboration (or were we calling it Cross-Country-Stitching-Collaboration - I forget) arrived late afternoon, and as usual it is awe-inspiring. I shall photograph it and share it's glory this evening, when I can get the stitching, my phone camera and the laptop all in the same place at the same time.

Other exciting things happened just before we went to bed...

(don't hold your breath - it takes very little to categorize an event as 'exciting' these days)

To begin with, this was the first evening I felt up to going 'slugging' since Friday. I noticed a day ago that those marauding molluscs had been at my three surviving pak choi, chomping on the leaves. We went out and prowled around the pots, and, Eureka! A massive snail just getting started on the pak choi. He was first into the pot (NOT a cooking pot for Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's slug and snail stew, I should add). In a few minutes we  had collected a dozen or more of assorted species and sizes and dealt with them.

Secondly, I actually remembered bout the supermoon, and opened the front door on the way to the stairs, and there it was, huge and pale and creamy-yellowy-white watching over us all in what I took to be a benign fashion.

...............

Pak choi check this morning; there they are, the little darlings, bedded down in slug-deterrent wool and surrounded by coffee grounds. The snail in question was stretching out from the edge of the tub to reach the overhanging leave - I shall take steps to thwart that mode of attack later today!


All the other tubs contain nothing except forget-me-nots and weeds, as the slugs and snails have already munched all the little cauliflower and spring onion seedlings for their suppers. I have swiss chad and kohl rabi all ready to plant out, but am strangely reluctant to bear any more mollusc-related disappointments...

This morning I am considerably improved, as long as I don't test the boundaries of the improvement too far.

The proof is in the killer sudoku test - I completed the 'expert' level without needing any of the 3 lives.

 I have spent most of the morning NOT using oxygen, until just now when I completed the arduous task of choosing 2 long-sleeved shirts, checked, 2 short-sleeved shirts, patterned, and two pairs of jeans for my father, having had an opportunity to look a what he was wearing to the hospital last week. I'll tackle shoes and slippers and a decent jacket for him next... thank heavens for mail order.


No comments:

Post a Comment