Monday 1 April 2024

Monday 1st April

 I only saw one internet April Fool; a company which makes very lovely (and very expensive) leather journals posted on their blog that they had brought out a new glow-in-the-dark edition... I decided that just Had to be an April Fool, and indeed they confessed in the afternoon. Hah!

I pottered out into the garden in one of the sunny spells to arrange a spot for morning coffee drinking. I like to sit among my vegetable pots and just enjoy the garden when it is warm enough and sunny enough. I find contemplating my broad bean plants later in the year (currently showing no sign of life in the cold frame) very soothing.


I took these pictures in the evening, just now at 6.30pm. Thanks to the clocks going back it is still light enough. The tulips are looking very cheerful. 


KNITTING 

This morning I had another go at casting on more socks. These are going to be knitted toe-up, with a new-to-me technique of German short-row heels... although I think I have done short-rows with a wrap-and-turn before. I've a good bit of knitting to go before I need think about that.

It took three goes to cast on because I was determined to do 'Judy's magic cast on'. It is a lot simpler than it looks, but even so...

The first time, I managed to cast on across two addi crazy double pointed needs and knit a row or two, but it seemed to me that my sock was emerging inside-out. Weird or what?

The second time I ended up with the cast on being a row of purl bumps and the knitting being fine. Weirder and whattier. 

I gave it some thought, and persistence has been rewarded. 


This is the beautiful toe, utterly seamless. I did find the first few rows very confusing, partly because the tail left over from the cast on was determined to be knat, no, knitted with, and partly because it takes time to stop looking like a piece of flat knitting with needles on bothe sides. I've tucked the tail inside the toe now, and the knitting is looking more like a sock. Onwards!

CROSS STITCH 

Sorry. I have spent nearly the whole day on the settee with the oxygen machine. Tomorrow I shall take up residence at the desk where I sew... not much more to do now.

2 comments:

  1. I think Ang has been up to her usual tricks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case consider me well and truly cotched!

      Delete