Sunday 28 April 2024

Sunday 28th April

April nearly all gone... and Spring not yet arrived?

One year, perhaps it was 2018? I can't remember, the trees were incredibly late in coming into leaf. So much so that people were beginning to ask if the trees had all died. I was travelling through the lanes every day from one school to another in beautiful sunny weather, with all the trees bare-branched as though it was W8nter.

Not so this year. The trees are all bursting into leaf, and we were driving through grey rainy weather and sharp northerly winds today. I felt very sorry indeed for the people staffing the car oark at the school where we went for our covid vaccinations this morning. Because of my lovely new Blue Badge I didn't even have to get out of the car; the nurse came to me! That's what I call service.

That took up the morning...

Where did the rest of the day go? 

I took a little toddle around my veg patch and flower border during a brief moment of sun this afternoon. 

Now, do you call them columbine (what I was taught to call them) or aquilegia like the garden centres, or granny's bonnet which is what my 90 year old neighbour,  brought up in Kent, calls them? What ever they are, the buds are showing, a promise of pink flowers any day now. 

No sewing but a little knitting, and a lot of reading filled the rest of afternoon, and the regular family zoom and also a phone call with a cousin filled the evening.

I did remember to deal with my sprouting mung beans and alfalfa beans this morning 



Those sprouts are coming along nicely. 


9 comments:

  1. You remind me, I really must do some sprouting! I bought a sprouter in lockdown...and still haven't used it!! AHrgh!!!
    I call them Aqualegia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much enjoying watching the seeds grow.

      Delete
  2. I have done a whole row of stitching tonight, and realised it's two squares to the right of where it should be. Lots of unpicking tomorrow the...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how frustrating for you. Patience is a virtue...

      Delete
  3. My husband has done this in the past and we couldn't eat it all, so he gave up.. read back about you knitting while streaming your church service, wouldn't it be fun to see a whole row of women in church knitting?? Might make some long winded speakers stop and think if they might be speaking too long, I've sat patiently through some boring talks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very tempting to add too many seeds to the jar...

      Delete
  4. Grandma always called them Granny's bonnets. I like that.

    ReplyDelete