Monday 21 October 2024

Monday 21st October

 I've been ordering books again... and all second-hand, I hasten to add. (Because that makes me feel fractionally less extravagant)

I've had my eye on this Shakespeare book by Judi Dench ever since it was published, and it has been well worth waiting for. 

Judith Dench looks at various characters that she has played, and just seems to chat about them. She's also a mine of information about the inner workings of how to understand what's going on, as well as seasoning the writing with fascinating and amusing anecdotes. The first chapter is on Lady Macbeth. I remember 'doing' Macbeth for O-levels but never enjoyed it. Judith Dench's take on her is a revelation. 


This wa a bit of a make-weight, as wob.com do 'buy three and get a fourth for free' which I nearly always fall for. There are some useful ideas in the book.



Another Judi Dench! Again, reading the book feels like listening to her talking, like a television interview. I'm enjoying dipping in and out of it. 



Lastly,  I have bought a second hand copy of The Kitchen Diaries II by Nigel Slater. I thought I had taken a picture but obviously not. I'm trying to be strict and only read the entry for today's date, so that I can make it last for the year, starting from the recipe for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment