Thursday, 27 August 2026

Thursday 27th August - channelling my inner Pollyanna

 doesn't always work...

Yes, it is possible to make a pot of tea and eat a mini-magnum in a state of suppressed fury and frustration...

My huppers, as I have started calling the hup! installation team, didn't turn up until 11am... they are usually here at 8 so I rang the boss-in-the-office after 9am. This is the second time they have had to call at another site to receive a delivery before they start here. They are going to be late again tomorrow; yesterday they just forgot to tell me... it happens...

But since this phase began on 3rd August, they will have lost about three half days to taking deliveries for other jobs, and four days for other reasons. That's a week in my reckoning, and it is causing issues for the next phase, when the original builders return to do everything else. It's not my hupper's fault, but I'm thinking I might have to say something to the m-i-t-o. I do know he's under pressure to squeeze all the upcoming jobs into his schedule, but I'm now passively-aggressively drinking tea, if such a thing is possible! 

And    B r e a t h e... normal state of cheerfulness will resume as soon as I gave drunk a cup of tea..,

Helped by one of the books I am reading; 'Cheerfulness Breaks In' by Angela Thirkell, set in I suppose 1940, and recommended by several people,  most recently wrinklymartha.

I'm reading a moderately rather very weird book by Wisconsin university professor called Lynda Barry. It is the syllabus she devised for her course on drawing and cartooning.


I'm not a fan of her cartoons, but I'm intruiged by her syllabus for teaching this university course, for undergraduates with any or no drawing skills and experience.

Here's a page;

I so, so wish I'd had the courage to present my teaching plans as stickmen and boxes in a graphic style, instead of spending HOURS AND HOURS typing into a proforma on the laptop, fussing around with font sizes and formatting to make it fit. 

One lesson, early on, is a great leveller for experienced and newbie artists alike; expressively, child-like figures. I just had to try this for myself;


I am now desperate to try the next assignment at the bottom of the page... take some index cards to a suitable venue and do 'quick draw Mcgraw' life sketching. She says use blue colouring pencil and ink over when you get home.

...

Finally, today's 10 minute journal. (Ignore the stuff at the top, that's about something else on the previous page.)


Thank you, elizabethd, for the suggestion of the hebe.


13 comments:

  1. I smiled at your "today" as we have had our strongest downpour yet today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! We haven't had what I could call real rain yet... Just a short spell here and there.

      Delete
    2. We had rain on and off all afternoon.

      Delete
    3. 🌧 who would have thought we would welcome it!

      Delete
  2. Lynda Barry was pretty well known to me at one time - a weekly Toronto publication I read regularly some decades ago ran her cartoons for years, and they were sad and funny, with all the awkwardness of growing up in a working class American family of mixed origins, including Filipina. One of my sisters, who has done a lot more drawing than I, has a copy of Syllabus and found it useful - I remember being intrigued by it on a visit several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of here over in England. I followed a,reference in another drawing blog (in substack) and was hooked!

      Delete
  3. I can understand your frustration with the 'huppers'. Hopefully the call to the boss will help?? I'm glad tea helps you cope and planning your plants helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amused that you refer to cartoonist, graphic novelist and MacArthur fellowship, multi award winning Lynda Barry as a professor!! She does teach but she's internationally known as a cartoonist. Like describing Philip glass as an appliance installer, since that's how he filled out his income while writing world-class music! Just teasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is all a whole new world for me... I have only 'met' her in this one book. Now I need to learn more. Thanks for the contribution towards enlightenment!

      Delete
  5. If there's a university drawing course for people who can't draw there must be hope for even me!!
    Sorry your building men are missing when they shouldn't be, hope it gets done very soon ready for the next stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their absence is making me a weeny bit tetchy... it's not their fault though, id the boss-in-the-office keeps sending them off hither and hither. It's him I'll be having a chat with soon! Meanwhile, I can try and enjoy another peaceful morning while they're looking after delivery somewhere else.😬

      Delete
  6. Oh the joy of tea, it calms as well as invigorates. I am sorry you are having annoying times with your building project. I hate it when builders do multi jobs and go missing holding up other builders waiting in the wings, grrr! Just make more tea. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete