After the past couple of weeks I consider that to be good news. Yesterday and today were noticeably cooler, so much so that when I was in the shade I put on a jersey.
Ah....
I've suddenly had the urge to start drawing again; 5-10 minute sketches, limited by the materials I had to hand;
These were done on my kindle scribe.
In this one I used the stylus on the pencil setting
This one using the stylus on fountain pen and then highlighter settings.
When I visited a friend this afternoon we sat in her garden, cool, quiet, shady, tidy and dust free. What a contrast to our place, baking in the sun, cluttered, dusty and with distant traffic noise from the busy dual carriageway about half a mile or so away.
When she went to make a fresh pot of tea I fetched out a biro and tiny notebook to sketch some honesty growing in a nearby flowerbed. (I've hidden her name)
I'm getting a bit fed up with waking several times in the night. Once I'm awake my body says 'time to go to the loo.' I've tried persuading myself that it isn't necessary, but I've discovered I'm not very persuadeable. So annoying. But last night as I stumbled back, half asleep, I saw a perfect half moon, like a round of cheese cut with a knife, through the open curtains, and could vaguely make out some twinkly stars to one side.
It was such a lovely sight that it was (almost) worth waking up for.
And it didn't take long to get back to sleep, listen to a book on my headphones. I set the timer to ten minutes and was asleep in less time than that.



I know all about 2am, 4am, etc wakings. It's tiring, but I find if I read a couple of pages, I go back to sleep. Mostly.
ReplyDeleteI'm grateful that this started when I was retired; I doubt I'd manage to face a class of 33 seven year olds armed with percussion instruments every morning these days!
DeleteI go through phases of waking at night and there's no rhyme or reason to it. Never mind - worse things happen at sea.
ReplyDelete'Non-sleeping' nights have been with me for years. I've fine-tuned my list of which audio books, radio programs and podcasts will lull me to sleep 😴
DeleteI love the sketches. If I ever manage to get my garden in order, I'd love to have honesty growing there. My grandmother always had it growing.
ReplyDeleteI've been sitting in a plush jacket which looks ridiculous but is incredibly warm and I've been happy about it.
I've not been successful with honestly. Does one ever get a garden into order?
DeleteOh. Last night was a horrific insomnia night, topped with the dog needing several outings just as I'd drift asleep. Ot sounds like your friends garden was the respite you needed.
ReplyDeleteI stopped calling it insomnia when I realised that just made me worse. I've discovered that people didn't sleep through the night until the industrial revolution. Until then they would get up in the middle of the night after their first sleep, chat with friends and family, have a snack, go for a walk, whatever for a while and then go back to bed for their second sleep. Learning about this changed everything for me
DeleteLovely drawings.
ReplyDeleteI'm in a sleepy stage at the moment. All I seem to want to do is sleep! It won't be long until it swings the other way...
The cooler weather has helped me find some energy,
DeleteI can't help wondering if your renewed desire to draw has something to do with the cooler weather. One of the things about the heat is how sluggish it makes me feel and I sure don't like it.
ReplyDeleteI think you are right; I feel as though my brain is dissolving when it us really warm.
Delete