Because, contrary to expectations, no-one is doing any dust-making activities.
I rang The Man in the Office, this now the company doing the installation work, not the builders, to ask why no-one had come.
To cut a long story short, the installation in Scotland has overrun and so they won't start here until Monday next week. Or perhaps Tuesday.
I had a few firm words about Communication but actually, knowing the back story (which I'm not sharing here) I have some sympathy with his predicament. However I will NOT tolerate being treated like a mushroom 🍄! (Kept in the dark). Instead I am opening a little sweepstake for the actual start date.
Monday 10th, Wednesday 12th, Thursday 13th and Monday 17th have all been taken...
We've blocked the vacuum cleaner again with all the fine dust, but luckily it's just a matter of dismantling and washing the filters. A job for tomorrow.
I've also cleaned the kitchen and bathroom floors, and, having washed all the detergent out of the microfibre pad and wrung it nearly dry, damp mopped some wood floors. I'll have a go at the rest tomorrow.
Here's something cheering; I've been catching up on getting things that I've saved written into my Commonplace book and found this;
![]() |
| https://poets.org/poem/eletelephony |

I agree, firm words and even foot stamping, gracefully, are necessary.
ReplyDeleteThat's step 1...
DeleteWas he making a trunk call?
ReplyDeleteIt's a long time since I've heard that expression; I'm going to have to look up the origins of the phrase. Thank you for the rabbit hole!
DeleteRather disappointing I'd say. Hopefully they do come next week ( I see no one thinks they'll come on Tuesday so that would be my guess.)
ReplyDeleteI remember reading that poem to my children!
Your name is added to the book!
DeleteI hadn't met the poem before, it's a delight
Builders are a joy until they are not, hope they are back soon.
ReplyDeleteLikewise!
DeleteLoved your term like a mushroom!! Never heard that before!!
ReplyDeleteFor the sake of decency I left off the second half of the phrase... but when you remember that commercial growers use (or used to use, maybe) manure, then 'kept in the dark and fed on ...' fits exactly!
DeleteIt WILL happen. Eventually...
ReplyDelete'Only believe'...
DeleteLove the poem. Shame about the pause in work, though.
ReplyDeleteIt's been nice to have a break from noise and dust (singing 'always look on the bright side of life...'
DeleteI'm making note of like a mushroom. Great phrase.
ReplyDeleteSee my reply to Chris for the reprehensible second part of the phrase!
DeleteWe are having huge works done on our apartment block - including new cladding. Sometimes, the entire team (and it's a big team) don't turn up at all. It's very frustrating. I feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteGrim. But I'm glad you are having new cladding if the old stuff was substandard.
DeleteI hope that the work gets sorted out. There's nothing worse than living in limbo.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the poem. It made me smile so much!
I thought the poem was amazing!
ReplyDeleteIt really frustrates me when people don't communicate. A simple return of an email isn't that difficult and makes all the difference!
ReplyDeleteYes, chasing people for information is very annoying.
Delete