Monday, 28 September 2026

Monday 28th September - a houseful

 Today we had six workmen on site. Suddenly the extension seemed very crowded.

At one end, two electricians were drilling and fixing supports for all the sockets and switches that we thought we might need, plus more that we hadn't realised we might need. It was so noisy!

At the other end the big end window was being installed. It is in three large, heavy panels of opaque fire-proof safety glass, because it forms the boundary wall. Each panel took four men lift each one into position. Between them they fill the top half of the end wall. 

We chose to have the glass rather than a cheaper and easier solid end wall to appease our elderly neighbours who were most upset at the thought that our extension would take the light from their garden.

That window has caused so much angst!

I don't think it will make any difference to their garden, but it does make our extension lovely. I  think it also makes what was our dining room brighter. So although I'm more than a bit miffed about the expense and delay, I reckon it has turned out for the best and will be worth the money.

I'll take pictures tomorrow; it's been a long and tiring day!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really busy day! I get quite anxious when they are strangers in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the strangers... I didn't much care for one of the young men; too smiley, to quick to laugh, not really concentrating on whatever was going on - but it seems he was there just as extra muscle! The other men have been really nice and gentle and considerate.

      Delete
  2. Oh Joy!! I look forward to pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be out with my phone later this afternoon when the electricians have tidied up and gone.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like lots of cups to wash up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They consume a serious amount of tea and biscuits!

      Delete
  4. That sounds like an overwhelming day.
    I love the idea of a window rather than a blank wall, but have your neighbours considered that you now have a comfy spot to sit and overlook their garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed a very long day even though they had all gone by 4pm!
      The glass is opaque, so we just appear as shadows through it.

      Delete