Monday, 7 September 2026

Monday 7th September - last night's Prom concert

 Last night's Royal Albert Hall Prom concert on BBC 4 was amazing. It actually took place on Saturday 5th, but was broadcast on television on the Sunday. After a delightful  overture by Louise Farrenc (born 1804, died 1875), Martha Argerich performed  Beethoven's 2nd piano concerto with such flair, expression, clarity, delicacy, brilliance, and control that it was mesmerising. 

Hard to believe she is 85 years old, giving her first performance (Beethoven's 1st Piano Concerto) 77 years ago when she was very young. She must have played all Beethoven's  concertos hundreds of times, and  she made it sound completely fresh.
...

More progress on the extension, mostly some kind of external cladding and fascia boards. On Wednesday they will want to take down the garden fence so they can finish they can work on that side. Luckily our neighbours are quite happy about it. They just have hard-standing and flower pots so we don't have to worry about tramplng in their flower beds.


I'm sure my gladioli shouldn't be drooping downwards like this! Perhaps I should have changed the water...



8 comments:

  1. What a super concert it was! I so enjoyed seeing the conductor play with Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a sweet way to finish the evening.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if putting the glads into quite warm water would revive them. Maybe cut the stems afresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I should have trimmed the stems. My friend's gladiolu have done exactly the same as mine!

      Delete
  3. wow - it's great she's still playing. Love the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I'm sorry I missed that prom! What an amazing pianist! I like Louise Farrenc- we did one of her symphonies last year and it was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LF has been very neglected, it's good her work is being played more

      Delete