Pages

▼

Thursday, 24 September 2026

Thursday 24th September - new kitchen, more squares

#1 So...

Yesterday- no builders, but we have had the radiator delivered. I found a sketch I made of the kitchen-to-be;


I've done it as though I'm standing in the living area of the extension. My main reason was to try and start thinking about how to use the drawers and cupboards. We have changed the end cupboard on the right to drawers. I've seen how easy it is to deal with plates and bowls etc if they are in drawers instead of cupboards in other people's kitchens. 

It's going to be a half width electric induction hob, because I never, or hardly ever, use three pans at one, what with the airfryer and microwave. And we're going to have a counter-top oven instead of a built-in one. Ah, I don't think I have drawn it in! There's always something you miss out!

Another good idea is to label every drawer and cupboard with what lives inside... like our church kitchen. 
.....

Ang told me that my Double Knitting squares were delivered yesterday so I can post pictures now;



I'm encouraged by how straightforward this was to knit; hardly and 'twinking' happened. The bottom square, which is the one I sent to Ang, is a slightly brighter turquoise than the photo.

Our minds have been running along the same lines for what to do with the squares; we've both been investigating the feasibility of a patchwork jumper... I think I worked out it might take around 48 squares which would mean quadrupling my rate of production.  I'd better get on; I currently have two squares with different patterns on the go and a third waiting for its partner!

I can't stop laughing at these parrots... Just put 'four parrots' into YouTube...





16 comments:

  1. That's going to be a wonderful kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. (It's quite encouraging that you can interpret my scruffy sketch!)

      Delete
  2. The kitchen will be amazing!

    You're right about the rings - I can't remember the last time that i used more than two hobs, and I use a steamer if I'm cooking a lot of veg, so I have tiers of stuff over one pan, not lots of rings. I am going to have to rethink my views on cookers.

    I have saved the parrots and subscribed. I can see a lot of time spent on that channel! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I haven't found you another Internet hole to get lost in!

      Delete
  3. I am sure you will be happy with your new kitchen. And using drawers instead of cupboards are so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all my day to day plates and bowls in a cupboard with pull out drawers. its so easy and convenient. The top drawer is a thin one which holda teatowels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very exciting to have more drawers this time around. I currently have three drawers; in yhe new kitchen I will have nine!

      Delete
  5. Still enjoying my 'new' kitchen even though it's 18 months old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of space for everything in your new kitchen. I think you'll like using drawers, I know I do. Cute parrots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your kitchen will be wonderful. I am a real advocate of drawers in the kitchen so much easier than lots of too high cupboard space. The parrots are so funny. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to contain my excitement and impatience...

      Delete