Thursday, 3 September 2026

Thursday 3rd September - homemade

After some underwhelming supermarket ready meals last month, and earlier this week, I'm trying to go back to more cooking from scratch. It's easier, too with the cooler weather.

Yesterday, for supper, I made some vegetable soup, just a chopped carrot, onion, stick of celery all softened in olive oil and then cooked in stock with a dollop of tomato puree and dried herbs. I  added a tin of butter beans (drained and rinsed). There was enough for two days, so I served half the veg and all the liquid and put the rest in the fridge. (Lunch was homemade spaghetti with roasted courgettes).

Today I added more tomato, and quite a decent amount of cooked chicken and we had it for lunch with baked potatoes. Supper was a crustless quiche with bubble and squeak. 

I'm very pleased to have used up the eggs and pancetta which were approaching their 'use by' dates, and the leftover potatoes as well! I've also cooked a crockpot-full of minced beef, again, at it's 'use-by' date, to freeze and use in various recipes. 

I am feeling so virtuous!

Today's 10-minute journal;


Yesterday I dealt with bills, etc. Today I tried out my 'keep it handy' container of watercolours, brushes, lidded jar of water, pen etc first to colour the picture,  and later just to fiddle around with. I reckon this setup might suit for a quick few minutes dabbling.

Later in the morning; the first piano session of the new academic year! Good fun for both of us.

A friend came round yesterday evening with a bunch of five of the biggest gladioli stems I have ever seen. They are on the hearth in front of the fireplace and are easily taller than the fire surround! They have started coming out.

....

Nothing much to add to the extension progress. They have been very busy all day doing what I xalk 'invisible work', fixing things in place, adding extra screws, fastening things down, tiling the roof, ready for tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment