Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Tuesday 29th September - I promised pictures...

 The electricians have just gone home for today. Although it might seem as though they have left it all in a mess; look again; the cables are laid out ready to start straight away tomorrow morning.

The new kitchen door (the fridge-freezer should just fit in the corner);


The new kitchen window; (the sink will be underneath, with the dish washer beside it)


The new french windows; (the two central doors open outwards, the windows either side tilt inwards from the base or open inwards from hinges along the outer edges)
 

And The Big End Window! It is frosted glass as it looks over our neighbour's garden. The actual floor level in the extension once the insulation and screed have gone down will be level with the sill of the existing patio door, near as makes no difference. 


This is the back wall of the house. The patio doors will be removed and the space left open;


And the current kitchen door into the house; again the door will be removed and the space left open. The right hand side of the existing  kitchen will become a shower room and downstairs loo, leaving space for the boiler and washing machine (both out of sight in the corner) and the left hand side utility room/storage/kitchen overflow.

The plaster is also coming tomorrow to start covering the outside with render. We needed to choose the colour for the final coat so we took the colour chart outside and put it on the terrace. If you zoom in, you will see that we have marked the second and third colours down on the left hand side, 'parchment' and 'honeysuckle'. Final decision tomorrow...


I've started calling it the 'terrace' rather than the patio. I've always thought of a patio as being at ground level, but we've got a sort of raised platform, like paved decking. Whenever I go out there I feel as though I should be declaiming Shakespeare or singing an aria... If I get out there tomorrow I'll take a picture to show you what I mean.

Just one more thing; the electrician is incredibly neat; just look at the way all the cables are coiled symmetrically in the switch boxes, like pince-nez spectacles... 'I've got a thing about symmetry' he said...


BB has Strongly Dissuaded me from putting stickers of eyes (I have a reel of them) on the screw heads inside each loop of cable. 

  
 

16 comments:

  1. It's all getting very exciting. I call my outside (raised) seating area "the terrace" too. You've put into words why - I just called it that but couldn't say why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've come to the conclusion that if you have to go up some steps to get onto the paved area it's a terrace!

      Delete
  2. It’s wonderful to see things moving forward, and above all, it’s going to be great.
    Wishing you continued success—warm regards, Viola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm glad the pace of work has picked up!

      Delete
  3. Wow - it's all coming along so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as though I'm living in a whirlwind!

      Delete
  4. It really is a big job you have going on there and coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after a very leisurely month it's suddenly all systems go

      Delete
  5. I'm so used to hearing about people's reconstruction nightmares. It is refreshing to hear that yours is going so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's had It's moments 😱 but mostly it's gone fairly smoothly. So far 🤞

      Delete
  6. I have so much respect for you surviving in that chaos.
    I love the idea of calling the space 'the terrace'. It sounds wonderfully elegant.
    BB should absolutely put those eyes on - if not for these electricians, but for any that come after! Imagine going in for repairs and finding them - or a fake skeleton pushed in the cavity!
    Seriously, it's going to look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so glad to see you had included pictures. It all looks so fine. Lots of windows will make the area so bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely and bright, and not too warm in the sunshine yesterday afternoon 😀

      Delete