Wednesday, 16 September 2026

Wednesday 16th September

By the time we started the car to drive to Winkworth Arboretum to meet the family for lunch, I think we both felt a bit as though we had been buffeted and tossed about with one thing and another. 

The building control inspector arrive as we were leaving,  but we just abandoned him! 

But, what a lovely, lovely time we had! We just walked round the easy flat route at the top of the valley, passing a bench made from reclaimed signposts;


Do zoom in and read the words

And another bench with carved ends


A couple our age had just sat down, but I asked if they would mind me taking a photograph of one end. They didn't need to move, but, all smiles got up for me to take the picture and settled back down. 

There were lots of benches along the path so that you could take advantage of the fantastic views across the valley;


We, BB and I, have been missing seeing into the distance, looking 'over the hills and far away'.

All the time we were catching up on each other's news,  even though it was only a week or so since we were last together. 

More chatting about this and that over lunch (pasties), a quick prowl in the shop (I had a number of cards to buy) and then it was time for me to go home. I think the others might have stayed to explore the rest of the site - we left them deciding what to do.

.....

The hup! installers said the building inspector was quite happy... good news.

And it may be that the missing window is delivered tomorrow... we shall see!

12 comments:

  1. If it is delayed till after the weekend, that will be a pane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the benches, especially the owls. Looks as though you had lovely weather for your outing and meet-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place to visit. Those benches certainly are unique.
    I love the view in the last picture. I'm glad you had a much better day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The area is known as 'the Surrey Hills' and received 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' status in 1958. It's lovely, still unspoiled.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful place to visit - love the benches and the views.
    Hope the missing glass arrives ASAP before too much wet weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be so much easier to get on with the inside work when that window is installed.

      Delete
  5. WOW what a view! I love the benches especially the sign post one. That's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll definitely be going again soon to see the autumn colours

      Delete
    2. A beautiful place to visit! I loved the benches. I am sure it was good to get away for a while from all the building works.

      Delete
    3. Being out in the fresh air is a cure for many ills!

      Delete