Wednesday 22 February 2012

Amazing Colours of Spring

The David Hockney art exhibition, and associated news features, have been around for a couple of weeks now. I haven't been to the exhibition, but I heard most of his Radio 4 interview with Andrew Marr, and saw the film of the exhibition on the Countryfile programme a couple of weekends ago.
http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/hockney/

David Hockney, 'Woldgate Woods, 21, 23 & 29 November 2006', 2006.
(picture copied and pasted from the Royal Academy site above)

My initial reaction was that his choice of colours for the winter views was garish, surreal. Since then I have been looking at the trees and hedgerows with much more attention, and, yes, the branches are an almost acid yellow in the sunlight, and many shrubs have extraordinarily bright branches.

This apparently dull, grey season is actually full of vibrant colour even where there are no flowers to be seen.

I'm so glad to have had my eyes opened to the amount of colour that is all around. I have found driving through the dull grey hedgerows in the dull grey weather at this time of the year rather depressing, but this year everything is visually more exciting, simply because I  am more aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment