Saturday 21 April 2012

Saturday 21st April - Pay Claim Creation Day

Unfortunately, as an hourly-paid teacher, I don't get paid to create my pay claims.

Sigh.

So, I shall be spending the next hour collecting the petrol receipts and registers, working out the mileages and getting it all together.

Heigh ho. The bottom line is that I am very fortunate to have a job, and to have one that I enjoy so much. Well, that I enjoy a lot of the time.

These are some of the items that never make it onto the Pay Claims;

For searching through the internet and my selection of song books for new songs to teach - no charge.
For writing out sheets of music for the children to take home and practise - no charge.
For arranging extra recorder parts/keyboard parts for the songs - no charge.
For staying late to talk over some of the issues and work out strategies to deal with them - no charge.
For staying late so that Amelia/George/Ellie/Fred (names have been changed) could show me how well (or how badly!) they can play "London's Burning" or "Greensleeves" or "Fur Elise" - no charge.
 
I might moan about the amount of (unpaid) time I spend on that type of work. However, it is more than made up for by the privilege of seeing how music lessons can transform the lives of the children. Every week, I will see some, or even all, of the following types of events;

The child who has a reputation for being disruptive and aggressive, settling down with determination to master the horrid intricacies of "Jingle bells", and the look of pure pleasure when they achieve it.

The child who is usually too shy to speak, standing before the class while we all play the tune that they have composed.

The child who is so dyslexic that they have lost all confidence in reading and writing discovering that they can read and play music notation.

The child who has always been a "groaner" (I know we aren't supposed to use that word anymore!) finding their "singing voice" and singing in tune.

The child who is bottom of the class for reading, writing, number work, discovering that they are a "natural" for the clarinet and the best in class for a change.

Moan over. I am very fortunate indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment