Friday 4 October 2013

Friday 4th October - Pot Roast Lamb

Yesterday, before I went to work, I finely chopped onion, celery and carrots and garlic and dropped them into my capacious crock pot. I added rosemary and bay leaves, and jammed in a whole shoulder of lamb. After that went two large chopped ripe tomatoes, salt and pepper, and a whole bottle of dry cider. I set that going on Auto (1 hour high, then down to low) and left the house.

Seven hours later, I returned to find the house full of the welcoming smell of supper. I gave it another hour, then took the lamb out and turned the pot off.

While the lamb was still hot, I pulled it to shreds; it filled two dinner plates, probably 8 or more portions. This was frozen in batches spread out on trays, then broken up and all put into a freezer bag, so I can just take out as much as I like.

I poured the liquid and vegetables into a couple of jugs and left them to cool. Before I went to bed I put them into the fridge.

This morning, (before I started my duvet day), I lifted the solidified fat off the lamb and veg liquid and fished out the bay leaves. I liquidised everything, and distributed it among half a dozen or so small containers, and put them in the freezer.

Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment