Sunday 6 July 2014

Saturday 5th July - Sleep that knits up the raveled sleave of care

"Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.
It is of such fundamental importance to the human condition that "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" were deemed to be unalienable rights by the United States Declaration of Independence."                                             wikipedia


I ran out of happiness, briefly, on Friday afternoon. Apparently, according to the-man-who-knows-me-all-too-well, this is a fairly standard occurrence at this point in the Summer Term. In the last few weeks, my normal schedule goes completely haywire, and extra events like concerts and exams get shoe-horned in. He says I become a ticking time-bomb. It is not a case of "will she explode?" but "when will she explode?", and unfortunately there is no knowing what will set me off.

Perhaps I should put one of these on my Christmas list:


The happiness blanket monitors brain activity and displays it on the fibre optic blanket. It has been tested by British Airways on recent flights. It glows red if the passenger is stressed. 
http://www.gizmag.com/british-airways-tests-happiness-blanket/32799/pictures

Last week I was also dealing with 


the non-arrival (again, that's EVERY time this year so far!) of the home delivery of one of the various potions I take every day, 

re-arranging my teaching schedule for this week to be able to get to London for hospital appointments (I suspect that an oesophagual manometry examination is going to be every bit as uncomfortable as it sounds)

concerns that now the drug trial I have been on has ended, and the drug is licensed as an effective treatment for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, I have been told that I won't be continuing on the drug after all (WHAT! take me off a drug that has been proved to work?!?)

Trying to sort out my school teaching schedule for next year, involving discussions with schools, "the office" and complicated calculations about travelling times between various villages and towns


There are also all the various family "goings-on" that are "on-going" at the moment.



Well, the last straw was small and almost weightless, and it gently floated down out of the blue and landed on Friday afternoon.



I did a bit of shouting, ate my supper (thank you, lovely man, for making it for me), said hello to my son who had come for a driving weekend, and went to bed.  

Kitten sleeping
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/sleepy-kittens-download-theme
Everything was much, much better in the morning.

Sleep that knits up the raveled sleave of care,
The death of each day’s life, sore labor’s bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course,
Chief nourisher in life’s feast.                                                  Macbeth, Act 2, scene 2

No comments:

Post a Comment