Thursday 1 December 2016

Thursday 1st December 2016 - Happy New Year

Again? We've had the first day of winter, and the first day of the Church Year (first Sunday in Advent which was last Sunday)

Apparently it is the first day of the meteorological New Year;


I've snipped the above from here:  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/how-weather-works/seasons/winter/when-does-winter-start

I wonder if I'll remember to wish you all another Happy New Year on 21st December?

Meanwhile it is the first day of Advent Calendar Openings... I've got three this year; these two which involve tea and chocolate,



and a www.Jaquielawson.com  calendar. I don't mind at all advertising JacquieLawson cards and calendars on this blog as I so enjoy them!


This year she has created a sea-side theme. The clicking on the red bauble opened an amusing little film of a family taking a winter dip in the sea; rather them than me!

I've also got an Advent Candle. I wondered if I would find that too full of sad memories; it was about this time last year that my mother moved from hospital to nursing home for her final months. But candles are a sign of remembrance, and hope, and hymns such as  "Love Come Down At Christmas", and "Love Divine All Loves Excelling" and a beacon in the darkness.

It always reminds me of the words at the beginning of St John's Gospel, read out at carol services every year:

 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment