Friday 19 April 2019

Good Friday - 19th April 2019

I find 'doing' Good Friday close to unbearable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvary
Rocky escarpment resembling a skull, located northwest of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, near the Garden Tomb with cira 1900s picture posted on pole for comparison.

There is a green hill far away,
Without a city wall
Where our dear Lord was crucified;
Who died to save us all.
We may not know, We cannot tell,
What pains he had to bear,
But we believe it was for us;
He hung and suffered there.
He died that we might be forg'ven,
He died to make us good,
That we might go at last to hea'en;
Save by his precious blood.
There was no other good enough,
To pay the price of sin;
He only could unlock the gate,
Of hea'en and let us in.
Ohh dearly dearly has he loved,
And we must love him too;
And trust in his redeeming blood,
And try his work to do.

 we used to sing this more frequently in years gone by - nowadays we tend to sing newer songs in church. I used to enjoy the new songs - catchy tunes, modern words - but now that I've grown up a bit more, I turn back to the old favourites in 'The English Hymnal' (or even 'Hymns for Church and School').

So, number 1 son represented the family at the Open Air Church Service in Town. Husband went in to town too, but was sidetracked by the sight of a score or more of Minis parading through the town. Daughter had a well-deserved lie-in, and I decided that Today was The Day for tackling The Jumper....


I finished knitting it last year sometime, but it has been waiting for the stars to align in a perfect row before I dared begin sewing it together.


I needed space on the table, and good lighting, and at least 90% of my brain cells functioning, and the possibility of several hours uninterrupted concentration. Today was that day. It took several hours to sew, unpick, re-sew and complete setting in the first sleeve, at which point I paused for refreshments  and to clear a few other tasks.

Then I pegged together the second sleeve and shoulder together and spent another couple of hours sewing and unsewing and resewing them together.


  Finally I sewed the first sleeve seam - you can see it pegged out ready close to the next cup of tea -  and decided to call it a day. The sleeve and side seams are much easier than setting in the shoulder parts.

It has been a Summer day today. Three days ago I noticed tiny red buds on the apple tree - today it is a mass of blossom. The lilac flowers are nearly out too.



I imagine it was hot on the first Good Friday too.

No comments:

Post a Comment