Sunday 29 January 2023

Sunday 29th January - is it magic?

The pots of daffodils are more or less finished. Each bulb produced a forest of tall thin leaves and a flower stem, but there are only a few flowers left, and then I will plant them outside.

It is the turn of the amaryllis now


According to the label it will have huge red flowers, and there are two buds.

The taller larger bud is beginning to unfurl, and I can't wait to see the petals.

The thing is, all this luxuriant growth appears to come from nowhere. The bulbs don't seem to have shrunk, and the level of the earth in the pots looks about the same, and all that I have added is some water every so often.

Magic?


2 comments:

  1. I don't understand how it works. My neighbour's amaryllis has just flowered. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a poem I must look up about 'the green fuse' causing Spring or something. Possibly Gerald Manley Hopkins

    ReplyDelete