Friday 7 April 2023

Friday 7th April - yesterday and today

We did have tea outside in the afternoon; the almond macaroons I made on Wednesday afternoon. It was cold, sunny and cloudy by turns, but didn't start to rain until it was time to say goodbyes.

I had also made small panna cottage in espresso cups. I didn't serve them yesterday as in the end the macaroons were enough. So we had one each today at lunch time.


Oh me oh my! Why have I never made them before? I started with this recipe and also the instructions on the packet 


and gave it some thought. I always knew mental arithmetic lessons at school would come in useful (well no, not at the time, maybe). Eventually I  came to the conclusion that half a pint of 50/50 double cream and milk (semi skimmed) and 15g sugar and 2 leaves of gelatine should work. I heated the milk/cream/sugar in the microwave, added the soaked gelatine and stirred Intel it was all smooth.

 We had one each after lunch topped with a little whisky marmalade in lieu of fruit compote. Delicious! I will make this again, with a little more milk for a softer set.

It was a fitting reward for this morning's Adventures. 

Firstly, we used the in-post lockers to send a box of books to ziffit. Turned out to be as easy as making panna cottage.

Secondly, for the first time in three years, I went in to John Lewis for a look-see and to buy a birthday card. We were wearing FFP2  masks, but by walking very slowly and steadily I managed to keep my breathing under control. The store has undergone quite a major revamp since I was last there, and this is the first time I have been a-browsing for - literally - years.

Thirdly, while he was queueing to pay for the card(s) and other bits and pieces, I stood near the cafe and experimented with the drawing app on my phone

Fourthly, we took three bags of clothes and books and bric-a-brac to the charity shop.


In the afternoon we had tea and cake with friends in their garden. This time the sun came out and it was actually HOT! What a day.

I did a bit more to the cafe sketch just before writing this post.




2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a really productive day. I need to get to John Lewis soon - they sent me a voucher for two free coffees - and I just received a voucher for my birthday which I want to spend on kitchen bits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I am moribund in front of the TV now!

    ReplyDelete