Thursday 20 April 2023

Thursday 20th April - Half-way - That pesky delete button - Feinman - Asimov - Gardner

 I did some sums as I was feeling that I had A Long Way To Go with the current cross stitch. Hurrah - I'm half-way through - I've done about 800 stitches, and there are two blocks, of 330 and 460 stitches to go. Now it is looking more achievable.

It will be more than this, because my stitching tends to be make a dozen crosses, sigh, un-thread my needle and undo three crosses, thread the needle and make another dozen. Hopefully I will improve my success rate as I continue.

I really must stop trying to publish comments using my phone. The number of times I have caught the 'delete' instead of the 'publish' command is ridiculous. If I zoomed the screen before I started touching the commands that would save me - and you.

So, Jane-from-Dorset, I apologise to you for not publishing your comment which was as follows;

Jane from Dorset has left a new comment on your post 'Tuesday 18th April - Yogurt, Seeds, Quantum Physics':

Yes, do add some skimmed milk powder, it improves the quality of the yoghurt.

The Feynman diagram news sounds interesting-off to investigate as we spent a whole course using these at university.

As soon as one touches 'delete' it becomes impossible to rescue the situation, apart from copying the comments and adding it, but under my own name. Which I have done. 

The picture I found of a Feynman diagram was from a video on youtube. So if anyone is interested, have search. Feynman is mostly beyond me - in the sense that I'm not willing to invest in the time and mental energy it would take to understand the science. But I do enjoy his lighter weight books - I suspect as a personality one would have to consider him as a 'man of his time', but there's no doubting his giant intellect and lively writing style.

The first science writer that really grabbed my attention as Isaac Asimov - maybe better known for his science fiction, especially the Foundation series and the robot stories. But I remember reading 'View From a Height' sub-titles 'a brilliant overview of the exciting realm of science'. I am tempted to get a second-hand copy to see what made such a vivid impression.... maybe not at that price...


 And I leaned from a twitter friend (a real person - I do actually know him!) that you can buy Martin Gardner books - so there's another treat in store for Mathematicians. In fact the bookshop of the American Mathematical Society will let you have a complete collection, including his columns Scientific American for $99. Himself is Very Tempted.

I only managed to sow broad beans - white flowered, and crimson flowered, and peas on Tuesday. It was too cold. It's too cold again today; lovely bright sun, but that wind!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds as if our cross stitching styles are similar, but I think you left out one step. I’m sure there should be a “say rude word” in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to be a reformed character...but still plenty of room for improvement!

      Delete
  2. Have you read MGs "The Annotated Alice"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed - I found our copy just recently. If the pages will hold together I will re-re-read.

      Delete