Monday 7 August 2023

Monday 7th August - Kohlrabi and Swiss Chard and Hatching

Regulars will know that this year I am determined to follow Huw's one year plan in his book 'Veg in one bed'.

Regulars will know I fell at the first hurdle; he starts at the beginning of the year, and at the second, he is a great fan of kale. 

Slugs dealt a mortal blow to one of his August tasks; transplant your lettuce plants into section section 5. After three nights there is nothing left in number 6.

Apart from this, I am carrying on; I have sown kohlrabi and Swiss chard. The big question in my mind was "do I like eating kohlrabi and Swiss chard?"

I added some of each to our supermarket order and today was the day to find out.

Kohlrabi chips in the airfryer are very good. They didn't come up at all crispy, but are soft and delicious. 

Peel the kohlrabi rather as you would a swede, and cut into chips. Toss in rather less olive oil than I used, maybe a couple of teaspoons would have been plenty, some salt, pepper and paprika.

Zap in the airfryer for around 15 mins (depends on the size of your chips) at around 190 (depends on your airfryer). Serve as a side vegetable or as a snack.

We also had airfryer Swiss chard and salmon for lunch;

The American recipe says to discard the stalks and just use the leaves; shock horror! I separated the leaves and stalks and cooked the stalks in a little oil in a metal dish inside the airfryer (ours came with one that with fits inside the basket) and some chopped onion. After about five minutes, when it was looking sort of plausible, I added the shredded leaves, a red chilli deseeded and finely sliced, some herbs and seasoning, and gave it all another five minutes. The leaves completely filled the basket (but well clear of the heating element!) but soon wilted down like spinach would. I put the two salmon fillets on top, with salt and pepper, and gave it 8 minutes at 190.

Success!

So if the slugs and snails don't get there first I'll be happy to eat as much chard as I grow.

The pen and ink project is still happening;


Who knew there were so many different ways of doing 'hatching'?

Doodling is quite a good way of passing a quiet half hour or so... and a good way of putting some of the hatching patterns into practice 



No comments:

Post a Comment