Sunday 31 December 2023

Sunday December 31st

 Goodbye 2023!

Don't worry, I won forget you. Or rather, I will, because I have such a short memory.

However I have many ways of recording the year; my 'every evening diary' where I write an account of the day, my 'appointments diary and notebook' for everyday appointments, 'to do' lists, notes and doodles, and my Commonplace Books which run continuosly as I just start the next when I have filled the old one.

I started the current Book in March this year and it still has about a dozen pages left.

I've just flicked through some entries in this Book. Here's a random selection of pages through the year;








You might spot a familiar name for the source of one of the last notes! I see I haven't included any of the recipes and knitting/stitch/craft patterns which are dotted through the pages.

When I go through and old notebook I find I'm continally intrigued and surprised by what I chose to save. I can usually remember the occasion,  and the reason for saving the item, and I often want to add some further comment. 

So, a very worthwhile activity for me. 

Oh, one further picture for Chris (comments yesterday). This is how the poncho pieces are sewn together. 


The pencil notes are from me working out how many stitches to cast on for the short edge. 

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't expected to be quoted!! In the early 70s my mum came home and said "I've bought you a pooch for your holiday. They were just £1 on the market. The bloke says all the girls are wearing them as beach cover ups" I replied that I didn't want a dog. Mum dug a towelling thing out of her bag "Oh, a poncho!" I declared. It was hideous orange, brown and yellow stripes (very 70s) But it was constructed from two rectangles of fabric, like your diagram. We dismantled it and made two very serviceable hand towels! Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you as well!
      I remember that colour combination all too well. Our boarding school uniform was a brown tweed swing style coat and skirt, with a hideous mustard coloured needlecord cap, like a boys school cap but with a 'swinging 60s' shape, already out of fashion by 1971. We felt like belisha beacons, especially as we had to wear them when we were allowed into the town on Saturdays, and to church on Sundays.

      Delete