Tuesday 19 March 2024

Tuesday 19th March

I had what may well have been a new (to me) type of scam call today... a very plausible sounding man with a slight Scottish accent called to ask for contact details for the son of a friend 'in connection with a student loan'. I declined to help; I couldn't think of any reason whereby my telephone number would appear on his student loan paperwork. 

Odd.

The plausible telephone caller said I could Google the student loan department and check the e was genuine, but these days Google is not be trusted. He assures me my bame and telephone number have been removed from the paperwork. 

Hmmm.

Still, it reminded me I haven't been in touch with my friend this year, so I contacted her and hope to meet up soon.


A few days ago I was getting dressed when a pale grey ghostly shape fluttered past my nose... I saw where it landed and squashed it flat (with a copy of 'Short Prayers for the Long Day' which happened to be close at hand). MOTHS!

We put a moth trap under the bed and here's another. Oh dear. I shall have to take up the bedside rug and give it a proper going over outside.


DECLUTTERING 

I haven't cleared anything from the original list today, but I have emptied 5 large magazine files, and most of a cupboard, of music. A music teaching colleague collected 4 carrier bags of scales, studies, graded exam books going back over 30 years, sight reading tests, aural tests, duets and ensemble music. She's also taken my saxophone to try, and see if she would like to buy it.


I'm hoping she will take three of my pupils in September.

THE CRAFT STASH

so, the cunning plan is to knit, sew, and crochet until it is nearly all used up.... without replenishing or adding in any way. Earlier in the year I passed a set of paint markers and several pads of high quality art paper to a friend whose son is studying graphic design. She said he would be pleased as he gets through paper and markers at quote a rate.

I seem to have come full circle, from one friend and her son, to another!


9 comments:

  1. These scam calls are worrying, especially the ones purporting to be from Amazon telling you that £4000 has been drawn from your account. I block any call now that begins with a silence and then , often, a foreign voice asking me how I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The call sounded so plausible... I still don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a very plausible one purporting to be from Holborn Police Station. But we suspected it was a scam...obvs we reported it - and a pleasant wpc came to our home to interview us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so tragic that such ingenuity is twisted into such wickedness.

      Delete
  4. I had boxes of music to get rid of too, eventually spread them around charity shops and they all went, but getting rid of stuff you no longer want or need is a job in itself. I answer suspect phone calls in Welsh, they end the call quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welsh! I should sign up for lessons!

      Delete
    2. That comment was from me.

      Delete
  5. Eeek, I really hate those scam calls! I'm super mistrusting of all calls!
    Well done on the decluttering! Just got my saxophone back after 10 years of absence as I loaned it to my Brother in law but I am playing for Chicago so I needed it! I dread what it will sound like!

    ReplyDelete