Wednesday 21 August 2024

Wednesday 21st August

 This blog could become a litany of medical matters and online form filling shenanigans if I'm not careful. 

Somethings I mention partly in the spirit if sharing information that others might find useful. Other things are more in the nature of a rant. But, things will calm down.

This morning's little wins were discovering how extraordinarily simple it is to renew a passport. That is, if you were born in UK, live in the UK, and are renewi g it in the UK. I donknow what it be like under more complicated conditions. 

First stop, Timpsons for a passport photograph. It took just ten minutes before I came away with four little photographs of some mad, sour-faced, grey-haired crone purporting to be yours truly. And also a code number.

Next stop, fire up the computer,  answer some unexpectedly easy questions and enter the photograph code.

Thirdly, pay a whopping amount of money using my card.

Finally, post the old passport to the passport office.

I rewarded myself with a coffee and two biscuits. It's a nonsense, renewing my passport as I am unlikely to travel abroad; it seems such a complicated undertaking and the health insurance would be something else. But having a valid passport seems to be the easiest way of proving my identity an all the varied administrative situations I encounter along the road to activating the powers of attorney, getting my hands on my tax rebate and everything else.

Sigh.

This afternoon we enjoyed an blessed hour of peace and quiet while I had my annual infusion of zolendronic acid. I love the name of that drug. I feel I should come out with renewed space-agey, science-fictiony, super powers  - alas, not so. It's to treat osteoporosis, caused by the menopause, or by the steroids I take or both... 

Anyway, we were given tea, and biscuits, and generally well looked after, and the day ward where infusions are given is always serene and unhurried,  with views across to the wooded hills in the distance... 

Overall it's a good experience, relaxing in a reclining chair and cheerful music on the hospital radio (the Carpenters singing 'Top of the Morning' for example). I listened to some more of 'The Franchise Affair ' by Josephine Tey on my headphones and relaxed.

Now the list of jobs for the day is complete. I'm off-duty, off-line, just.... gone.

5 comments:

  1. The Franchise Affair was the first J Tey I ever read. It is a clever plot. I wonder if it could be rewritten in a contemporary setting for a TV drama? The problem would be mobile phones though. These days everybody is in instant contact, and also able to take pictures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Miss Pym Disposes' was the first I read. I can't remember 'The Franchise Affair' apart from the description of the house, although I have a vague impression of the final clue which solved the plot... I won't say more yet in case I'm giving it away. A lot of old stories wouldn't work so well now that we have mobile phones.

      Delete
  2. I have a similar anti osteoporosis med, but given as an injection twice a year. I remember finding Tey many years ago and loving the books. I felt very proud of myself taking my own photo for renewing my passport. It only took about 30 goes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my mother introduced me to Tey, a long time ago. I read them as PAN paperbacks; any paperbacks I have from them are crumbling to dust now

      Delete
    2. I think my mother introduced me to Tey, a long time ago. I read them as PAN paperbacks; any paperbacks I have from them are crumbling to dust now

      Delete