Friday 4 December 2015

Friday 4th December - Sit-Rep 4

Blog posts with this title concern my mother's current situation. Family and friends will know more of the background and context, and this is primarily for them.


We (my father, husband and I) visited my mother this afternoon. Another day in bed for her today.

She was pleased to see us, but couldn't talk for the fist few minutes as she was just finishing off a session on the nebulizer. We showed her some cards that had arrived, and read the messages. Once she could take the nebuliser mask off we were able to talk about the cards and reminisce about various people and places.

She is enjoying the view from her bed: This is roughly what she can see when she is lying slightly propped up;




As you can see, my father is sitting in a chair at the foot of her bed. That large evergreen tree is a source of great pleasure. As the wind blows, the leaves catch the sun in different ways, and she lies there watching the movement. She can also see a good vista of sky, with ever-changing patterns and colours of clouds.

Someone had switched on the Christmas Lights for her (or maybe they are just on the timer, and switch themselves off and on as if by magic?).

The Christmas Cactus I took in has exploded into flower, and I brought it over for her to see. "That's a Christmas Cactus. Horrible leaves. The flowers are alright. Nice. I had one once but it died". The pot plants are on a chest of drawers over to the left, and she is still unable to "take notice" of things on that side.

We moved the television across from the chest of drawers so that it is now in her line of sight. The new position is on the windowsill at the foot of her bed, replacing those cards. 
"Is that ok for you? Do you like it there?"
"Yes, although I like that picture better" jokingly, smiling and pointing to my father - he was still in the chair but now had the real television next to him.

Quite soon, maybe after half an hour, she sent us all away - "now it's time to say goodbye. I want to sleep. I'm tired now." So off we went. We sat in a little group of chairs and settees nearby, for maybe  an hour, and then tip-toed back. She was fast asleep, looking peaceful and relaxed, so we went home.

Things to do, emails to send, the general business of everyday life still need to get done.









No comments:

Post a Comment