Friday 9 December 2022

Friday 9th December - Everything is breaking

I could, of course, be talking about the state of the whole world. 

Bu I'm actually talking about our own little world.

The bearings are pretty much gone on our bread maker - not too surprising as it is no longer in its firs flush of youth and we use it at least twice a week, if not more. Most of our evening meals are something and bread or toast - sandwiches, soup and toast, scrambled or poached eggs on toast, sardines, pate, beans on toast... not to mention second breakfasts of toast an marmalade a number of times per month.

My mobile phone - the battery is permanently red now. For the last few weeks it drains flat from 50% at just the thought of taking a photograph, and I have been recharging it a coupe of times a day. Navigating our way through London to get the hospital was a race against time - would we get to our destination in time for the appointment before the battery went to zero... nope. We've had replacement mobile phones on our list for probably a couple of years. It was in the category of 'we'll get a round to it sometime'. 



'Sometime' has arrived.

Having checked the website, he walked in to town through bitter cold to the mobile phone shop, only to be told that 'you have to do this on-line'. Not what the website implied. So, once home and thawed out, he got through to a Real Person who said, 'no, this can only be done at the shop'. 

Looks like he's going for another walk tomorrow...

I've also had to get around to having Himself take a look at my piano stool. It has held up for over 40 years, leading a hard life, being sat on for several hours a day, pushed back across the floor while I am still seated as I power in for some appassionata chords or shuffle my weight to reach the top and bottom notes on the keyboard. 

I noticed about 5 years ago that the legs were not as steady as they were; today it was deemed 'unsafe' until steps have been taken; careful blows with a mallet to re-seat the joints in the first instance, followed by reinforcement joinery to make the whole structure firm again.

Good job we are both (semi)retired with plenty of time on our hands?


    


4 comments:

  1. There are some tasks which are permanently pushed to the bottom of the to-do list by other more urgent things. Which is why the kitchen refurb started last autumn is still not quite finished. And on my down days, I hum 'some day my plinths will come'. I wonder if someone can turn a round tuit on the woodworking lathe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh dear, there have been a lot of things breaking!! We would love a new piano stool- ours is just one that came from his Mum's old keyboard but we never got one when we bought our Yamaha piano second hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making do with a scruffy IKEA stool at the moment - it is a bit high but I'll manage. We call it the 'sacrificial stool' as the cats used to sharpen their claws in it.

    ReplyDelete