Monday 10 April 2023

Monday 10th April - Questions

 About all I have accomplished today is finishing and sending off the stitched square which is my contribution to our local Eco group's thing. I think it is some sort of cape; it is going to be very heavy by the time all the squares are stitched to it.


We were asked to write about our square. This accurately sums up my 'creative process', if it could be called that. After layering bits of the various fabrics supplied in the project bag I was thoroughly dissatisfied with the result. I draped a bit of cord over it to see if that would improve things and decided to stitch it down as it lay. 

My accompanying statement is more about hope than certainty. I really don't know enough about green issues to make informed decisions apart from dutifully recycling as much as I can.

It does seem that as fast as we try and solve one eco problem, half a dozen more rise up... for example, electric cars - hooray - but then the extra weight of the vehicle causes more pollution from tyre wear on the roads, the batteries need replacing after a couple of years, and cats are being written off and scrapped after quite minor accidents because the batteries are attached to the chassis, and could be compromised if the vhassis is damaged. And that's before we discuss how the extra power for charging them is to be generated and the national grid upgraded, and the latest news report on whether multistorey carparks are strong enough...

I've just finished reading a whodunit by Marisala Taylor set in the Shetland Isles, and one of the subplots concerns a huge wind farm (hooray) supplying clean energy (hooray) but necessitating construction work which will destroy an area of peat bog (boo) releasing CO2 (boo) and adversely affect the main breeding site of the bird population (boo)...

It was a good read, anyhow. I'm not sure if the prospective (fictional?) windfarm will feature in future books in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment