Sunday 16 April 2023

Sunday 16th April - The quickest to clean dirt from under your fingernails

 


... is to do the washing up. Confess - you thought I was going to write 'is to make pastry'....

Anyway, my hands are all clean and pink now.

I've been gardening. My gloves were in 'the other shed' rather than in 'my shed', and anyway, I always say I'm only going to do a little bit and don't need my gloves, but as always one thing leads to another.

I've re-potted the salvia 'Armistead' and salvia 'hot lips' cuttings that have been overwintering on my windowsill. The Armistead ones have been flowering (in March and April? madness) and grown too big for their pots, so now they are in an unheated polythene greenhouse and I hope they will survive. The forecast looks hopeful at any rate. I think all the salvias in the flowerbed have died. They are not terribly hardy so cuttings are a good idea. 

And, with the help of Himself, I have tidied and arranged the vegetable 'garden' ready to make a start in the next few days, DV. It's looking like this at the moment (everything is always subject to change!)


Now I need to figure out what to plant where. The nearest pots need to have low-growing stuff, the two big black ones can have tall things and the others - anything, I suppose. The morning sun comes from where I was standing, and the afternoon sun from the left. The pots nearest the fence will be quite shaded - spinach? Lettuce, maybe?

The main idea is to have the rows no more than 2 deep, otherwise I can't manage to reach over to the ones in the middle, as I found last year.

Onwards - to tidy the horrors that you can't see to the left of the picture. Tomorrow, perhaps. 

2 comments:

  1. Apparently running your nails along a damp bar of soap before doing dirty jobs such as gardening helps. Pollie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must give this a go, thanks. Although I'm great at shuttle stable doors after the horse has bolted!

      Delete