Monday 6 November 2023

Monday 6th November - Christmas Cake (1)

I was going to let you know how the slow cooker 3-ingredient fruit cake turned out...

I made it on Saturday and put it in a tin when it had cooled and didn't look at it again until today. To tell the truth, I wasn't too sure...

The recipe states it is a 1 pint size cake, and mine had almost entirely filled my 1.5 litre crock pot. The top of the cake had just about reached the tea towel that I put under the l8d to stop drops of condensation dripping onto the cake.

However, the proof of all these things is in the eating so I summoned my ciyrage and tried some. It looked alright when I got it out of the tin; maybe a little 'caught' at the sides


a slice out of the middle looked reasonably promising 


and it ta sted pretty good too, moist and flavourful. BB tried some and pronounced it 'not bad'. It's nowhere near dark enough for Christmas cake, and I was using a bag of ordinary mixed fruit. But I feel confident now to go for version 2, adding black treacle and beaten eggs to the liquid measurement, more butter, flaked almonds, citrus zest and more mixed spice. It's not sounding like a 3 ingredient recipe any more!

The Paper Pile has been spared today, mostly because we spent the morning dealing the consequences of me tipping my coffee over. Luckily it was an espresso in a tiny cup, rather than a half-pint mug. By the time we had moved the side table (a large heavy  china elephant) and mopped the floor and hoovered all the dust that was revealed and removed the coffee from the side of the settee neither of us felt like embarking on anything strenuous for the rest of the day.



4 comments:

  1. Sitting here watching Jamie O, and wondering when I'll get round to making my cake. In the "Old days" it was always made in half term week. I'll stick to my trusty Good Housekeeping recipe again. But smaller than last year I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to always use Delia Smith's recipe until I no l9nger wanted a cake that size. I also had a couple of cakes spoiled because the currants were gritty for some reason. So now I'm a bit adrift.

      Delete
  2. Version 2 sounds pretty good, slightly more interesting maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed... I think I'd prefer it to be a slightly smaller cake too.

      Delete