Friday 21 June 2024

Friday 21st June

According to the calendar,  today was a 'day of rest' with nothing scheduled. Well, no.

Best Beloved has had a busy day... my father needed a number of things sorting out which meant going round to fix his telephone handset (flat batteries- it doesn't always get put back exactly in the holder) and so on. 

Now, I have a confession to make. I haven't told him yet, and if I manage to keep quiet he won't find out until he reads this post... it's because he has to do so much looking after me and our house and my father and shopping and getting meals that sometimes I haven't the heart to add more to his list...

But with several days of warm, or even hot weather and no rain the garden was looking very distressed. Watering has been mentioned once or twice... but when he at last sits down to read his book and relax, well, you would need to be made of stone to make him to get up and start watering the garden.  Anyway, the gardening gurus are all saying that watering is best done in the mornings to annoy the slugs.

So I gave it some thought, and while he was out I set about watering the garden. I used 'ambulatory' oxygen and proceded with due care and caution and managed to get most of it done while he was out. And all the evidence put away, apart from the unavoidable damp trails on the path.

I went back out this evening and the plants are certainly recovering. These potatoes were all completely flopped


I would have been very sad if the sweet peas had all died. I'm not sure if the one nearest the front of the picture will survive but the rest look a bit more hopeful 
 

I'm not at all sure what on earth is going on with the Egyptian Walking Onion. It does appear to be on the move.



The garden has got a bit wild and untidy over the past weeks while I've been lurgied.


I have been rather cast down by the state of the broad bean plants. First slugs and snails, then blackfly and then getting so dry. I gave the blackfly a good blasting with the water set to 'jet' and that seemed to be effective. 

I managed to pick a few pods. Just a handful of beans; I cooked them briefly in the microwave and ate them at a snack.


The weather forecast for tonight is rain. Hohoho. (Hollow laugh).


4 comments:

  1. I think if one takes things very slowly andvery carefully, it makes it possible, and isnt it rewarding when you havent had to ask for help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black flies have decimated my beans. I'm so sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been rather disheartened by the weather and the posts so far this year. One gardening column suggests planting beans now... maybe I'll give them a go....

      Delete