Sunday, 13 September 2026

Saturday/Sunday 12th and 13th September


I was awake at half past four in the morning on Saturday,  which did not please me, but then I noticed the stars in the sky, and, could that possibly be a planet? I found my glasses and opened a curtain and twisted my head up to stare at Orion's belt and other stars until I became too uncomfortable and went back to bed. It's rare to be able to see the stars here, but the streetlight outside the window goes off at about 1am and there was no moon. 

I left the curtain open, although I couldn't see any stars when I was lying down. It was just nice to know they were there.

A thought that has come back to me today, a day of clouds and drizzle. We were very late going to bed because we watched the totally brilliant Last Night of the Proms right to the very end, and I've felt tired and bleh all day. 


We haven't been able to go out as I don't have any full oxygen cylinders left until after the delivery on Monday, so I have to stay home and use the mains powered oxygen supply. Otherwise a change of scene might have helped... but there's always the scenery in tv programmes, especially Paul Murton's gentle meanderings around Scotland. 

That's a good thought though about the sun and moon and stars always being there even when you can't see them. 

Like God, always there, no, I should say he's always here...

18 comments:

  1. Loved the last night of the proms, like you watched to the end then had an unsettled night - can't cope with much after 10.15pm anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10.15 rather than 12.15 is lights out for me!

      Delete
  2. As long as my hip pain persists I don't sleep well and was up at 12:30A.M. Below my little washroom window is a low roof and when I look out Kitty is often up there watching (?) for me. I look out and see stars etc.. so last night I looked out and for a split second I though it was Kitty at my window then I realized it was a raccoon. A young one but still quite able to clamber up to the window.
    Believe it or not I was an adult before I realized that the stars were always there even if I couldn't see them. Duh.
    We never miss Paul Murton either. In fact his program is always set to record. That way I can rewatch any particular segment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to read about your hip pain. I hope it improves. My friend had to arrange a sort of nest of pillows around her legs and hip, 'just so' before she can sleep.
      It was only a year r so ago I began to understand why the moon kept being in different places through the year...

      Delete
  3. A busy day, I completely forgot about the LNotP

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to several Prom concerts when we lived in Essex, but could never get last night tickets, but love it on TV, Amazing isn''t it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful institution. I'm glad they have broadened the range of music. A lot of isn't my taste, but then why should I have everything my way!?

      Delete
  5. On occasion when I awake in the night and go downstairs, I always take a few seconds to admire the stars (on a clear night). The Big Dipper is often directly in front of my kitchen window. Yes, God is always here with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 10-minute journal is wonderful. And your conservatory—or glass terrace—is simply beautiful. It will be a lovely place to dream and to welcome family and friends.
    Wishing you a wonderful week, Viola
    P.S. One of the special joys of winter is admiring the stars :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a perfect place to sit and dream... or be with friends...
      Thank you for the encouragement about the journal.

      Delete
  7. Personally, I always really enjoy waking up around four thirty. I usually stay in bed for another half hour or so and then get up. That way I get a few extra hours for myself! 😝 Beautiful drawings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly learning to at least put up with waking early, if not to actually embrace it!
      Thank you re drawings

      Delete
  8. I love seeing your art journal.
    I'm sorry about the lack of sleep, but lovely you could look out the window and see the stars. A good night sky always makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the way the pictures give me a quick snapshot of the day... even if they are sometimes so scrappy I need to write an explanation

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last Night of the Proms is alway amazing, We do seem to have had a few more concerts televised this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have certainly been some stunning concerts this year.

      Delete