It's been tremendously noisy all week; I can't remember but did I already say that I consider electric screw-drivers to be a fiendish invention? The electricians had two on the go all through Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and then the builders added to, and continued the row for the rest of the week!
I seized a quiet hour today for checking through the finances and paying various bills... interrupted several times by a locksmith coming to measure up and then change the lock on on the front door. Somehow I managed to keep track of what I was doing (maybe?)
A locksmith? We left the builders with a key one day, and it appears to be 'misplaced'. They have agreed to pick up the bill, because BB and I are not keen to just have another spare cut at the cobblers. It just makes everything secure again.
We once changed the lock simply because a visitor accidentally took a key home with them and posted it back to our house, before we could arrange for them to send it via a friend. You could feel the key quite distinctly in the envelope. It's unlikely that someone would copy the key while it was enroute, but changing the lock ensured our peace of mind.
Anyway, I finished the paper work and we have a new lock.
The rest of the day was much more relaxing!
....
My little tree has already discarded most of its leaves
I need to find the right place in the garden to plant it. I don't think it is enjoying living in that container. It was such a small spindly little thing when I got it last year and look at it now!
...
It was lovely to meet friends at the Cowdray Farm Shop yesterday. It was warm and sunny, the cafes were good, and we had so much to talk about. We only see each other a couple of times a year so every meet-up is special.
...

I imagine it is quite noisy! A break from the sound would be good. Glad you got the locks changed. Peace of mind outweighs the cost !
ReplyDeleteI was plagued by self-doubt - was I overreacting? But no, I'm sure it was the right thing to do.
DeleteTrying to focus with all the hustle and bustle of workers and equipment is difficult. I hope you find a good place for your tree. Leaves are beginning to fall here, too.
ReplyDeleteWe've had a few bonus warm days recently, albeit with a chilly start to the morning. I think it is called an 'Indian Summer'
DeleteThat's beginning to look like a usable room without needing to use a lot of imagination.
ReplyDeleteIt is... once the screed is down the floor level will be correct which will change everything again.
DeleteGood luck surviving all the work going on around you! It will likely be worth it when it’s finished :)
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to it very much
DeleteLosing keys can be a nightmare, I agree
ReplyDeleteOh, the hassle, the hassle!
DeleteGood idea to get the locks changed.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm pleased we did.
DeleteThe key you could feel through the envelope made me smile, and changing the lock was the sensible thing to do. Good that the builders are paying for it. Nice that you got to meet your friends in the sun, those twice-a-year catch-ups are worth a lot.
ReplyDeleteFriends... where would we be without them!
DeleteYou've looked after that little tree so well, I hope that you find a good home for it.
ReplyDeleteI agree, you can't be too careful with keys. It's not just the risk of someone using them, it's also the worry weighing on your mind.
Peace of mind is so important
DeleteSo glad you got the lock sorted, Kirsten — a misplaced key in a builder's pocket is exactly the sort of thing that plays on your mind at night! We had our locks changed when we moved into our current house, as you never really know how many copies the previous owners handed out. While we were at it we also had a proper deadbolt fitted on the front door, which made the whole house feel far more secure. Peace of mind really is worth every penny!
ReplyDeleteYes, indeed.
Delete