Wednesday 23 December 2015

Wednesday 23rd December - Sit-Rep 23

Blog posts with this title concern my mother's current situation. Family and friends will know more of the background and context, and this is primarily for them.


How to cook rabbit

"You take your rabbit, and joint it, and leave it soaking overnight in cold water with a dash of vinegar, and some bay leaves.
The next day, wash the marinade off, and dry the pieces. Fry them until nicely browned, and then make into a casserole with a good gravy, juniper berries, cream, whatever you want.

That's how my mother used to cook it in Holland when I was a child. Delicious. The first time I had it in England was when I was nursing. They made it into a sort of curry, with RAISINS in it. Ugh. Horrible. It all tasted so nasty and sweet."

(You have to say that last sentence aloud, with plenty of emphasis and expression to recreate the moment)

How about liver with apple and onions? "Buy lamb's liver as a single piece, slice it very thinly and soak it in milk for a while. Slice apples and onions very thinly as well. The liver is cooked very quickly, just in and out of the frying pan, and the apple slices the same way, just warmed through, slightly soft on the outside"

So that is what my mother was doing - thinking about food. I'd just asked her how she had been passing the time, and she replied "I've been cooking a rabbit." So I've written up her recipe, or rather, HER mother's recipe in case you want to give it a go.

I went with my husband this morning. We stayed about an hour. The main thing was to move her reading lamp to the right side of the bed so that it could reach a socket and shine onto and shine onto the page when she was reading. We tidied up some bits and pieces and talked about - food - and other things.

My father went this afternoon. He managed to be there at the same time as the doctor. My mother's chest is now clear; good news, and she had eaten more of her lunch than the usual couple of teaspoons.

The my mother sent him on some errands, which involved him driving to the next village to buy chocolates for the nurses and a magazine for herself.

I leave you to draw your own conclusions as to how she was feeling today!    

No comments:

Post a Comment