Saturday 14 May 2016

Saturday 14th May - Early early mornings

The dawn chorus is just getting going at around 4 am. I tried to persuade myself that I was privileged to be awake at that to time hear it.

File:Pasture at dawn-George Inness-1891.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pasture_at_dawn-George_Inness-1891.jpg

Sleep was proving elusive. Now, I read this blog post recently

"You can tell a lot about a person by the music they listen to. Put your mp3 player, or whatever, on shuffle and list the first ten songs, and then tag 10 people. Rule: No skipping."

Their list of songs was meaningless to me. I hadn't heard of any of them.

And I'm not going to tag 10 people. But if you would like to have a go, you are welcome share the consequences in the comments. (That's two sentences in a row begun with conjunctions, heheheh)

Here's my list - and I'm very proud of having remembered it, as I didn't want to wake BB by switching on the light;


  1. Samuel Goldburg and Schmuyle from "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky 
  2.  Prelude and Fugue in C minor from "The Well-Tempered Clavier" by Bach, played on a harpsichord
  3. The Lord's Prayer by Cladwell, sung by the choir of Tewsksbury Abbey, from their CD "Paternoster"
  4. "Going Home", a traditional spiritual, sung by "Cantabile", a male vocal quartet, from the CD "Lullabies and Goodbyes"
  5. Variation no 1 from "The Goldberg Variations" by JS Bach, played by Glen Gould on piano
  6. "The Reel of Whirlie", tradidional Scottish tune, played by Lauren McColl, from her album "When Leaves Fall"
  7. Paternoster, by Palestrina, sung by the choir of Tewsksbury Abbey from the same CD as The Lord's Prayer
  8. "Wet and Windy", by Sarah Watts, from her Tutor Book "Red Hot Recorder". Surprisingly effective in spite of only using notes A and B.
  9. Variation no 1 from "The Goldberg Variations" by JS Bach, played by Frederick Haas on harpsichord - well, that was a surprise!
  10. "As Torrents in Summer" by Elgar, another surprise, "Cantabile" again, from their CD "Songs of Love and War 
At this point I switched the mp3 player off and mulled over the music I had been listening to - all very, very familiar except the two versions of the Lord's Prayer - I have listened to that CD quite a number of times but only a few of the tracks have made a lasting impression so far. 

I might try this again another night... but I am a little hesitant, because I remember how the first time ever that I borrowed my daughter's mp3 player for a long journey, I couldn't work out how to stop it from playing random bits of music. So a Debussy Etude was immediately followed by "I'm A Believer" from Shrek, and then maybe my ears would suddenly be filled with Mozart -  all a bit too sudden for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment