Thursday 26 July 2018

Thursday 26th July - What we did yesterday part 2

Before I leave the topic of the V and A Museum, I must just mention this;


the courtyard between the sculpture gallery and the main cafe in the red-brick building in the photo.

By the end of the afternoon the space was full of families enjoying a relaxed afternoon. You can see all the children playing in the large, shallow paddling pool - some in swimming costumes, some in underpants, and some just soaked through in their T shirts and shorts. I waded through the pool instead of walking round - when I took my shoes off, I found the paved area was too hot to walk on in bare feet. The water was luke warm - delightful - and deeper than I thought, so soon the hem of my long dress was soaked. No matter. It kept me cool as I walked round the rest of the museum, and my feet had dried off before I needed to put my shoes on again.

What a lovely, lovely place for families to take their children to! Free entry, toilets, cafe, seating, shade, sun, paddling pool - no wonder so many people come. And if they should pause and look at  some marvellous object on the way in or out, so much the better.

Oh, and I meant to mention this statue, close by the entrance to the courtyard, in the sculpture gallery;


Thetis is dipping Achilles into the Styx, (all except his heel, of course)


Achilles doesn't seem to be appreciating his mother's efforts. See, read the information label;


"The heads of Thetis and Achilles are portraits of the client's wife and baby". What a sweet idea.

from wikipedia re Thomas Johnes:  (he seems a Good Egg)

His marriage to his wife Jane, a beautiful and highly intelligent woman, brought great happiness to Thomas. They enjoyed a close relationship, sharing an interest in improving Ceredigion and a love of Hafod.
Their first child Mariamné was born 30 June 1784. Johnes was completely besotted with her and was closely involved with her upbringing. No expense was spared in her education; tutors from all over the world were hired. He shared an especially close emotional bond with Mariamné. He was heartbroken when she preceded him in death on 4 July 1811.
His son Evan was born in 1786, during the time his wife Jane had laid the cornerstone of their home. The boy died in infancy.[4] 

No comments:

Post a Comment