Saturday 9 January 2021

Saturday 9th January - Letter H

 


H for - heaven, hell (the latter two tie in with the third of the Gifts of the Magi, Gold, for a King, Frankincense for a God, Myrrh, for death)

which reminded me of Blake's poem, The Clod and the Pebble;

"Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair."

So sung a little Clod of Clay
Trodden with the cattle's feet,
But a Pebble of the brook
Warbled out these metres meet:

"Love seeketh only self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another's loss of ease,
And builds a Hell in Heaven's despite."

I guess the truth is somewhere in between... too much clod or too much pebble in one's character is going to end up in tears either way... maybe H is for Happy medium?

I have discovered my new challenge - I'm not sure how well I shall stick to it. 

'Learn to touch type in just 10 hours'

we shall see. I spent some time on it today - lesson 1, or Hour 1, doing the drills and consolidation exercise. It is very like, and very unlike, learning a piano piece. \i think one problem will b that I am already quite a fast three finger typist, which means that I have a multitude of terrible habits to painstakingly eradicate.

Like I said, we shall see...

   



No comments:

Post a Comment