Sunday 13 March 2022

Lent Reflection 2 - Sunday 13th March

Last night I was reflecting on the trials and tribulations that I was having with embroidery. Satin stitch in particular, and all things embroidery in general.

Version 1


All I had to go on for satin stitch were some angry and frustrated memories from making a total hash of it when I was about eight years old, and some instructions and pictures in a leaflet.

It's not too surprising, then, that my first attempt was unsatisfactory.

After intently studying several video, and listening carefully to the instructions, guidance, details, given by Sarah Homfray on her youtube videos, I was able to cut out the first attempt (yes, I did make a small hole in the fabric) and by sewing slowly, with more concentration, was able to produce this;

Version 2
  

Yes! It's not 'good', but is it 'better', and that's enough to be going on with!

Sarah Homfray sews her leaves and flowers with consummate ease. She can even talk while the needle goes in and out, apparently seeking the perfect placement of the point every time all by iteself, the thread following neatly and forming the beautiful shapes.

How?

Well, like me playing the piano. I'm not a great pianist; I was never going to be able to play more than the easiest Chopin, most accessible Brahms, but I have been saturated in the world of piano playing since I was about three years old. When I look at the music, I know what to do, I know how to learn it, I understand it like a fish understands swimming.

I guess it is the same for experts in embroidery. They been saturated in the techniques and history and knowledge of their art and craft, using all their intellect to develop and improve.

Today, I was reminded about this process of saturation with respect to our life as Christians.

If I hadn't been listening to  daily 'Bible in one Year' audio book, and also following Andrew Dotchin's Lent Course, today's sermon (Ezekiel and the bones) would have been good, but with the extra links and knowledge that past six months regular listening and reading and paring have developed, it was awesome. 

So, on reflection, it seems to me that Tertullian in saying 

But we, little fishes, after the example of our ΙΧΘΥΣ Jesus Christ, are born in water, nor have we safety in any other way than by permanently abiding in water 

was givng us good advice. Here, he is talking about Baptism, and the Water being the Holy Spirit, and of course the play on words with the Greek word for fish being used to represent Jesus Christ:

The word ΙΧΘΥΣ (ikhthus) in Greek means “a fish;” and it was used as a name for our Lord Jesus, because the initials of the words ᾽Ιησοῦς Χριστὸς Θεοῦ Υἰὸς Σωτήρ (i.e. Jesus Christ the Son of God, the Savior), make up that word.

(And no, I haven't read Tertullian! But I came across that phrase a long while ago and it stuck with me)

 More Lent reflections at Tracing Rainbows


1 comment:

  1. What a great quote from Tertullian. I have not read any his writings either. I have been wondering about Satin Stitch. I have always struggled with it too. Practice is key. And a tiny hole in the fabric is a reminder that none of us is perfect. Thanks for this post K ❤️

    ReplyDelete