Saturday 26 March 2022

Saturday 26th March - Another day of sunshine

 I have spent most of the day outside in the garden apart from a couple of hours n the afternoon. I stayed inside then as our gardener warned us that one of her household has got covid, although she herself was testing negative - at the moment. So we stayed indoors while she carried on outdoors. 

There is some slight urgency to what she is doing; a cubic yard of mushroom compost was delivered last weekend, and the bag is currently mostly on our neighbour's drive, as that was the only sensible option for where to put it. It is not in their way, but will be quite a surprise when they come home from a week away tomorrow evening. Luckily we are on very good terms, often helping each other out (and we ARE feeding their cat!)

We had hoped to be able to drag it across onto our driveway today, but it is still too heavy, in spite of being more than half empty. It was very compacted; I reckon we have got more than the usual amount for the money! Another couple of hours on Monday and we should be able to shift it.

The mushroom compost is being spread on all the borders once they are weeded and watered to enrich the soil and keep the weeds down.

Like Ang, I am using Huw Richard's book to 'do' my veg this year. There are some drawbacks, as she and I are both discovering. I should be enjoying eating the spinach and kale I planted last Autumn, according to the book, but I wasn't 'doing' the book then. So I have taken matters into my own hand and sown some anyway. I've put the kale seeds in individual pots to transplant later, assuming they grow. The kale pots have joined the lettuce seeds and spring onion seeds in my new mini greenhouse. 

Noah's Ark; as the scripture verses are from the book of Proverbs, I'm almost certain that these are ants, and the verse will be 'go to the ant, you sluggard, and consider her ways...'. Let's do a quick google


Yes, here you are... here's the full passage

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
 It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
 yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
    When will you get up from your sleep?
 A little sleep, a little slumber,
    a little folding of the hands to rest—
 and poverty will come on you like a thief
    and scarcity like an armed man.


No comments:

Post a Comment