Friday 20 January 2023

Friday 20th January - small events...small things...small pleasures

 The smallest event of today, or the biggest? was the appearance of a wren in our garden. I just saw a flicker of brown in a dark corner among the dead leaves lying around beside and between the pots near the patio door.

Was it, could it be? I am certain it was. Small rounded body, short pert tail, and busy busy hopping around.

Troglodytes Troglodytes. Fantastic name.

I don't really remember farthings, which were discontinued in 1960. I do admit to having had threepenny bits, ha'pennies and sixpence in my pocket money, florin, half crowns and even a 10-bob note on occasion.


All the small mugs, I mean the really small mugs for morning coffees and after lunch coffees were in the dishwasher. I surveyed what was left in the cupboard; serving an espresso coffee in a standard mug was not to be borne.

There really isn't much liquid in a single espresso; about an eggcup-ful, if you like it black;


However, if you like it with hot milk then an eggcup is not quite large enough for easy consumption. 


I gave given in to myself and bought a mini iron. 'Do I know the name of the manufacturer ' asked the resident technical expert as he eyed it up.

'I doubt it,'. It is called Quilty Bear. Definitely dinky, but does the job. I can use it on my tiny workspace and store it on the bookshelves nearby.


The desktop has a shelf immediately below. I found things tended to disappear if I used it to store things, so bought a couple of wooden trays to make I easier to retrieve books, pencils, pads etc.



Here you can see my desk being a postcard project sewing station. But here's my clever contraption; I  made a tiny paper origami tray, which lives in wooden tray so I can pull it forward, sweep the snips of thread into it and push the whole tray back. I spent most of today sewing as we are into the final days.... Good job we are well under way with plans for the next one.





2 comments:

  1. It looks very like the Prym iron - they produce lots of haberdashery accessories. Maybe QB have rebranded them. I have a teeny tiny clover iron, useful for fiddly bits on memory bears. And a "sleeve board" so I don't have to put up my big ironing board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a cork place mat covered with a clean cotton napkin. All handily within reach.

      Delete